This small collection consists of correspondence and various other ephemera related to Ada Fernald Rees’s association with the Pinellas County Federation of Women’s Clubs. This specific organization no longer exists as of this date, but at the time it was connected to the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs, as well as the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. Ada Fernald Rees came to Tarpon Springs, Florida, with her first husband, George F. Fernald, in 1898. Although Ada lived in Tarpon Springs, she regularly contacted the St. Petersburg Woman’s Club. During her time with the club, Ada served as vice president, and also president of the county organizataion. Ms. Rees served as the first treasurer of the Pinellas County League of Women Voters when that organization was established in January 1922. She also served as a commissioner in the Pinellas County Board of Public Instruction representing the Tarpon Springs (northern county) district from 1923 through 1928 and was the only female member of the Pinellas school board at that time. She was the second female to serve on the Pinellas board. Rees passed away on 13 January 1969 and was buried in Cycadia Cemetery in Tarpon Springs.
Nelson Poynter Memorial Library. Special Collections and University Archives.; Rees, Ada Fernald (1877 - 1969); Black, Hope L.; and Jones, Marta L., "Ada Fernald Rees Collection : A Collection Guide" (2011). Special Collections and University Archives Finding Aids: All Items. 2.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.